Telephone: (734) 764-2178
Fax: (734) 647-2781
Secretary: Tammi Kortema
Telephone: (734) 615-6438
Health Systems Legal Office
300 North Ingalls Building, Room 3B04
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-5476
Primary Practice Areas
- Research (human subjects, animal, select agents, biologics, stem cell, research misconduct, etc.)
- Conflicts of Interest
- HIPAA Privacy
- Graduate Medical Education
- Credentialing and Privileging, Scope of Practice
Kara has over eighteen years of experience as a health care regulatory lawyer in a broad range of areas including: transactions, fraud and abuse, graduate medical education, patient rights, medical staff credentialing and peer review, billing/reimbursement, and research. Kara joined the University of Michigan Office of the General Counsel in 2002 after private practice with a national health law firm, and in-house practice with a multi-state, non-profit health system. Prior to law school Kara’s work experience included basic science research at the National Institutes of Health, and public health epidemiology with the San Diego County Health Department.
Much of Kara’s current practice is dedicated to supporting the University’s research activities where she works closely with the Office of Vice President for Research, the University of Michigan Medical School Office of Research, Regulatory Affairs, the Institutional Review Boards and the University of Michigan Health System Compliance Office. Kara enjoys assisting investigators and their study teams in preparing for, and responding to, external inspections.
When work allows, Kara likes to travel and hike with her husband, Lewis (a University of Michigan physician and clinical researcher), and her two teenage daughters. When she can’t get away, Kara does Insanity workouts in her home gym. Kara is also a regular volunteer at Food Gatherers.
University Committees/Special Projects
- IRBMED boards, IRBMED Leadership and IRB Council
- UMHHC Credentialing and Privileging Committee
- Medical School Conflicts of Interest (COI), Clinical and Educational COI, and Institutional COI committees
- Human Research Protection Program Policy Group
- Human Pluripotent Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee
- Animal Team
- Chair, UM OGC Research/IP Practice Group
- JD, with honors, University of Maryland (1994), Assistant Editor, Maryland Law Review.
- MPH, Epidemiology, University of Michigan (1990)
- BS, Medical Technology, Catholic University of America (1986)