Information for Law Enforcement Agents
It is the policy of U-M to cooperate fully with all lawfully issued search warrants. Law enforcement agents serving search warrants on U-M and its agents should first contact the appropriate campus public safety or security office to assist in the execution of the search warrant. U-M expects that its law enforcement officials will supervise searches and seizures of U-M property. Please be prepared to provide a business card(s) of the agent(s) executing the search warrant, a copy of the search warrant including attachments, and an inventory list of all property seized before leaving.
Department of Public Safety
103 Hubbard Building
602 Mill Street
Flint, MI 48503
Phone: (810) 762-3333
University of Michigan Health System
Hospitals and Health Centers Security Services
Med Inn Building, Room C150
1500 E. Medical Center Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-5810
Phone: (734) 936-7890
Information for U-M Faculty and Staff
U-M faculty and staff who are served with a search warrant by a law enforcement agent seeking U-M documents or property should respond as follows:
- At all times, be polite, courteous, and cooperative with the law enforcement agent.
- Request identification and/or business card from the law enforcement agent or write down the law enforcement agent’s name, title, agency, and work address.
- Request to make a copy of the search warrant including all attachments. Make a copy of the search warrant including all attachments.
- Advise the law enforcement agent that you will be pleased to assist them after contacting campus police and the Office of the Vice President and General Counsel, as required by U-M protocol. Ask the law enforcement agent to wait while you contact the appropriate campus police or security office (see contact information above) and the Office of the Vice President and General Counsel (OGC). It is the role of campus police and security to assist in ensuring that the search warrant is properly executed (e.g., ensuring that the search does not exceed the scope of the warrant.)
- Be prepared to send a fax or .pdf of the search warrant via email to the OGC. It is the role of the OGC to determine the validity and scope of the search warrant and to assist in determining the most appropriate method of response that is least disruptive of business operations.
- If you work in the University of Michigan Health System, please contact the OGC’s Attorney-on-Call by calling (734) 764-2178 during regular business hours or the Paging Operator at (734) 936-6267.
- If the search warrant authorizes the law enforcement agent to seize computers or data storage equipment, advise the agent that you need to contact your local IT support team to make a back up copy of any data before the computers are removed. Do not attempt to delete or alter any data.
- Request a written inventory listing everything that was seized during the search. The inventory should be signed by the law enforcement agent with the time, date, and the agent’s full contact information.
- Meet with an attorney in the OGC to discuss the search and seizure process and appropriate next steps.